Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The Camargue, Saintes-Maries-de-Lar-Mer

While I was in France I was lucky enough to stay my son-in-law's flat at Carry-le-Rouet just outside Marseille for a week.  On June 13 I took myself on a tour of the Carmargue, including Saintes-Maries-de-La-Mar and Aigues Mortes, hoping to find the wild marsh horses.  I did find them, but they werent very wild, and most seemed to be tied up, saddled and available for hire.  I did find a couple.... maybe they were on a rest day.



I saw plenty of black bulls and bullfighting of the Spanish variety and a more 'bull friendly' local version are equally popular.

But for me the most exciting find was flamingos and other bird life in the Parc Ornothologique which was brilliant.  I took a million photos, here are a couple!!















There was plenty of other bird life, not as speccy as the flamingos, but good none-the-less, including this water hen chick, how big are this baby's feet????

No comments:

Post a Comment