Friday, November 21, 2014

Snakes, Goannas and Roses

On Wednesday evening I found Kiki in the orchard with a small red belly black snake, the snake was peppered with teeth marks and pretty near dead, I called both dogs away and put it out of its misery.  Ruby was mostly a spectator - as usual, smart dog!

Yesterday morning it was obvious that Kiki had been bitten and she was very subdued, light sensitive and generally out of character.  I took her to my friend Gayle's place to give her a Vitamin C shot - not a one person job.

She spent all day in bed under the couch, finally got up at 6pm and seems pretty much back to normal now.

Yesterday evening she gave me another heart attack as I looked over the fence in the middle of feeding chooks and ducks to see her in the orchard, yet again with a snake in her mouth!!  ARGHHHHHH  Closer investigation revealed that it was the dead snake from the day before... but really, it tells me that she's learnt nothing from the whole experience!!  Most vets will tell you that there is no scientific evidence for using Vit C in the case of a snake bite, but this is the second time it seems to have 'worked' for my animals, one alpaca, one dog - all good!

Other creepy crawlies in the garden this week included this young goanna.  Cute now, but won't be getting so close when its a bit bigger!





The roses have been doing their thing and looking gorgeous, something good happening in the garden - no reptiles involved!!









No comments:

Post a Comment