Friday, March 2, 2012

If it keeps on raining.....

As the song goes, if it keeps on raining, levy's gonna break - and while its not a levy, the dam definitely did break.

At first I thought it didn't look too bad....


But water is still running in.....


And I'd entered from the microlite paddock side, plainly the breach was in the creek paddock side....


So I rode around there.... and lucky I did, because on the way I discovered Mya Duck outside the fence trying to get back in - her bad because all the dinner was gone by then, still... very glad I retrieved her - but back to the dam, OK, looks worse from that side.


Then I stepped down nearer the 'mouth' and then I really got a handle on the size of the problem.  The water is actually spilling over the edge of the wall, into a hole... about the size of a quad bike, and then down the hill.  This is not an entirely stable situation, so click click and quickly ride away!!!


Its still raining, 196mm to 9am this morning... and forecast to rain for at least 2 more days.  The frogs are delirious... but I'm over it.

3 comments:

  1. Can't imagine so much rain! Have to turn it into snow to translate it! About 20 cm. Hmm not that much.... but much more fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trouble with rain, is that when it hits sodden earth it 'runs off' and that's when the damage starts, we have 2 'rivers' running across the drive and the erosion is not good.

      Delete
    2. ooops. Robbie pointed out that you multiply, not divide to get snow. That would be rather a lot. 2 metres.
      I hope it stops soon for your sake!

      Delete