Friday, March 19, 2010

Every Reason to be Strung Out

Today has been another very stressful day!!

I went to the vet's today to collect the meds for the various animals here who need them.  Chantal - the vet who diagnosed Toad's heart arrythmia (sp???) was on the phone at the desk, and Jancey (boxer owning vet nurse) came to serve me.  I told her I didnt needed the vetmedin because Toad died yesterday, and she burst into tears.  Chantal finished her phone conversation abruptly and I had to go through yesterday afternoons events.  Now we were all blubbing - super, I was fine before I got there!! LOL!

Next I went to the Bunnings for supplies - straighten up, fly right.

Freya and I were sitting on the back porch making mosaic pictures on the concrete slabs that will cover Toad's grave when the ducks seemed to be making even more noise than usual.  I thought that they seemed to be swapping between Pond 1 and Pond 2 A LOT more than usual.

When I looked up, hard and long, there between us and ducks on the edge of the pond was a fox, bold  as brass and trying to grab my ducks!!  It was 1:30pm on a cloudless day - what the Whitney Houston was going on???????????????  I yelled 'its a fox' to Freya - errr nerrr - and ran screaming like a Banshee down to the fence.  The fox scarpered down the paddock and over the fence.  We did a head count and discovered I've added so many ducks recently that I really dont know how many I should have!!  I think they are all there!!

We went back to finishing Toad's grave pieces and then went in for  a late lunch.  Once again the ducks were making a racket and when I looked out the window they were trying to see off a goanna (egg thieving nuisances, but a protected species) ARGHHHH  Once again I am in full flight and screaming like a wild thing.  The goanna is treed.

We returned to the mosaics after lunch - do you think all the excitement will have curdled the glue???? - and then the goanna came down from the tree, more mucking about.

I am sooooo ready for a nice quiet day - but how to achieve it????  We lost no eggs to the goanna and thankfully, no ducks to the fox.  Toad is barely cold and already we are missing her guarding duties.  I had said no more dogs, but now its just a question of what we name the Mareema puppy that I will be purchasing forthwith!!

Here are the un-grouted pieces Freya and I made today.  Tomorrow we will finish them, and lay them in place.

1 comment:

  1. What lovely sympathetic vets you have. And how quickly the predators have figured out Toad's absence. Her marker is going to be lovely. D

    ReplyDelete